Friday, September 3, 2010

Cutbacks

Last night, in the twenty minutes between dinner and bath, we decided to take the kids out for a quick run around in the meadow.


We wanted some fresh air and to let them lose themselves in the tall grass.


Okay, by now anyone familiar with Los Angeles is thinking, "Huh?!"

We've had some budget issues in our city, and as far as I can tell, one of the cutbacks has been not cutting back the grass in the middle of one of our major boulevards.  All summer, I've been driving past these miles of traffic islands that are normally mowed like a golf course, and I've been watching the grass get taller and taller.


It is now quite tall.


This is a wide traffic island that many years ago had a trolley track on it.  It is now so beautiful that I wonder why they ever mowed it in the first place.  How quickly nature would reclaim it completely, if given a chance!


I grew up roaming boundless acres of uncut grasses and wildflowers.

 

 This is not that, but we will take what we can get.

 

4 comments:

  1. Lovely meadow :) Just last week I noticed they are not maintaining the lawn at the Playa Vista branch library. Unfortunately, it's not a meadow, but a sea of those dandelion-ish weeds that stick to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great post - I love urban wildlandscapes - thanks for sharing such beautiful pics and I bet your kids loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wild nature will reclaim spots for sure
    just look what happens if you don't weed your garden for a month or so

    ReplyDelete
  4. And, it still looks like an urban meadow two month later. Maiz, why are you not involved with the redesign of these medians? LANI has some money (to potentially create a permanent urban meadow and I have been on the steering committee but we could really do with some creative help I think. Interested?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!