Monday, August 9, 2010

Superhero Paperdolls

Ruben led me into this project gradually.  For weeks, he'd been asking me (or Joe, or Diego, or anyone willing) to draw superheroes for him.  Then he wanted them cut out.  Then he wanted accessories.  Then he wanted the arms or legs in different positions.  They would get torn.  He would cry.  Something had to be done.

Here's the design that I came up with (there is a printable version for you at the end of the post):


Print the template on light cardboard or print on regular paper and glue it to cardstock or light cardboard.  (The cardboard we used was about the thickness of a cereal box.)  Get out the art supplies and turn it into your child's fantasy super-hero!  Older kids can color, collage and add details to the figure.  Younger kids can dictate what they want.  Remember to use only flat collage materials if you plan to laminate.



You can have them laminated, or you can carefully coat both sides with clear packing tape, then trim off the excess.  (Try it on a test piece first if it is your first time doing this!)

Make sure the thumbs are facing the right way.  Poke the brads through the laminated holes and fold them over on the back to tuck in the sharp ends.  Use a hard surface to press them flat.



If your kids can draw their own outlines for their superheroes, I think these will turn out even better!  I am hoping we can try that next.

Click on the picture below to get a printable version:


** added 5/6/12**  click here for some other fun ideas for your superhero paperdolls!

11 comments:

  1. We totally want to do this! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the pattern for the superhero. Great Scott, the kids had a blast making these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My kids really enjoyed this project...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this wonderful idea - I think my boys (and even my girl) will love them! Pinning for a rainy day :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this wonderful idea, I'm going to make one for my grandsons birthday..

    Many thanks... Up Up and Away!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you don't mind but I plan to make these with Aberdeen (UK) Cub Scouts next weekend.. 250+ 8-10 year olds (wish me luck). Fingers crossed it goes okay, but thanks so much for the idea and the pattern!! Thanks again!! Mari-Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How did it go, Maz? Please let me know if you post any pictures!

      Delete
  7. First day of school activity, tweaked to make "Super Students". Thank you so much for this great project.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!